Phostint postcards dating numbered
The move started in 1919 and took two years to complete at a cost of ,000,000.
185 houses and 20 businesses were moved, and some of the larger buildings had to be cut in half for the move.
The eastern quarter of Tombstone, laid out on Goose Flat, is visible across Toughnut Gulch with the Dragoon Mountains behind.
Most of the town is out of view at left including an already prosperous business district.
His mother died when he was still in infancy and it was her name, Hibbing, which he assumed when he set out to seek his fortune in the New World.
He first settled in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin where he worked on a farm and in a shingle mill.
This puts in close to, but not very near to the geographical center of the state.After deciding he was not familiar enough with the English language to make a legal career possible, he turned to timber cruising. Hibbing settled in Duluth where he established a real estate business and began explorations on the Vermilion Range.In 1892, he headed a party of thirty men at Mountain Iron and cut a road through the wilderness to Section 22, 58-20.There were 110 industrious Chinese residents in Tombstone in 1880, many of them self-reliant entrepreneurs.(From a glass plate at Yale Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.)This birds-eye view of Tombstone in 1881 shows an ore wagon pulled by 15 or 16 mules leaving town for one of the mines or on the way to a mill.